allthingspurple

For Bento Posts under this blog itself, click "here" .For older bento posts, just click on the monthly archives at the side bar.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Bookworm Tag !

I got this tag from KittyCat . Thanks for thinking of me, KittyCat.

By the way, you guys should check out KittyCat's site. It's a great book review site !

This is a long one. Here goes :

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
Yes, definitely. You remember those olden days, each classroom has this huge wooden opened up bookshelves called “kutub khanah”? okay, those one decade younger wouldn’t know. But those of us who finished our homework early get to borrow a book to read till that class is over. I made sure I finish all my work fast so that I could get to borrow those. And picked one to bring home for the night. Later, I got all my aunts and uncles to sign their library cards applications and loan me their cards so I get to borrow like 20 books every 2 weeks at a time including my own cards and my mom’s. Got 8 aunts and uncles you see.

What are some books you read as a child?
Enid Blyton, Famous Five, Alfred Hitchcock, Secret Seven, Beatrice (not Beatrix Potter, the little girl Beatrice who solves mysteries. (wanted to name Ashley Beatrice but hubby didnt like the name). Never seen those books around anymore. I thought I introduce them to Kimberly. Oh, its Trixie Belden, not Beatrice, cos Trixie is short for Breatrice and I always got those two confused. Okay, then there are Nancy Drew and that 2 boys detectives, Parker something, issit? Somebody enlighten me. Cant remember their names.

What is your favourite genre?
Definitely fiction. I don’t like non fiction much unless it’s related to work or food.

Do you have a favourite novel?
As a kid, Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, To kill a mockingbird. Uncle Tom’s Cabin. I still have them. To keep them for Kimberly. I know lar, can also buy, but since they have been with me for so long.

As an adult, I like lots. But offhand i cant remember. Funny how books you read as a kid struck you the most.

Where do you usually read?
When I was a kid, always in bed with something to munch, like Bak Kuah, coconut candies, peanuts. Always need something to munch, except during midnight readings with a torchlight. My dad used to check on me cos he knew I be hiding under the blanket with a torchlight. He forbade us from having the lights on cos else we be reading till the next morning.

As an adult, on the bed, on the couch, but hardly ever am afforded the time now.

When do you usually read?
over the weekends. You meant before, right, as a kid right? Just kidding. Cos now I NEVER read, except some bits and pieces from mags when sitting on the throne. Not exactly never, almost never. Ha ha. Once in a blue moon though, I neglect the kids and hide wherever I can so as to finish that one fascinating book in a day and a night.

Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Yes, I used to hate to be stranded without. But that was a long time ago. Now I am always without.

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
no. same.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
Use to borrow as a kid. Of course now buy lar. If I happened to walk by the aisle and see a book of which preview I have read and found interesting, I would grab it. No time to browse around PayLess Bookstore with kids yanking at my pants and sleeves, although I would love to save, cos those books sits in the shelves after that or got re-located to orphanages.

Do you keep most of the books you buy?
In the guest room. The not so favourite ones went to the orphanage. Some old ones (Enid Blyton and such still at my mom's storeroom, yellowing and collecting dusts. I am embarassed to say I still keep them, bought them with my hard earned chores money and pocket money, you see)

If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
Yes. When they reach the right age for Enid Blytons and stuff. But kids nowadays read books earlier. For one year olds, its Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Dr Seuss series, if you give a mouse a cookie, Guess how much I love you, goodnight moon, Eric Carle’s series of books and other books receommended for one year olds.

Now Ashley has graduated to fairy tales and longer stories but still love her old books.

For Kimberly in the near future, perhaps Charlotte’s Web, Little House in the Prairie or CS Lewis series.

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
no, but I read reviews on these 2 and want to read them if I see them in the bookstore.
- step on a crack , james Patterson
- 19 minutes, Jodi piccoult

What’s next?
This one got to wait, I got to go home to pull it out of the drawr. I just bought one. By James Patterson. The one with the pic or a man holding a woman close.umm..if that helps. ha ha.

Oh, okay, got it. Sundays at Tiffany.


What books would you like to reread?

offhand cant remember. Got to go to the guestroom look at the bookshelves and pull out some to refresh memory. But off my head, there's one. Lord of the Rings.

Who are your favourite authors?
Stephen King, John Grisham, Mauve Binchy

And I love to pass this tag to :

  • the suzette

  • Tiny Tapir

  • Sandra at MiaBambina

  • the new parent

  • Deana

  • Zoops rantings on life

  • LZmommy

  • Abby's Mummy

  • Blessed Mum of 3

  • kookyculinary

  • grinmamablues

  • AMoonlightREndezvous

  • wokkingmum jollyangels

  • Sue Sue


  • The tag didnt specify how many we can tag. I was about to list everyone in my sidebar, but wasnt sure if that's too long. So, will give you guys a break this time cos mind you, there's a long queue of tags coming up. Just dont hate me for it. Ha ha.

    Have a great day today, all.

    Labels:

    myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

    11 Comments:

    • It's Hardy Boys....just to enlighten you....though I dunno the first name of the other Hardy.

      And the James Patterson book Sundays at Tiffany comes very well recommended by a good friend of mine too.

      By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:09 PM  

    • yea !!! that's right !! Hardy boys!! *slap forehead* want to tag u too but you have been tagged this one.

      By Blogger allthingspurple, At 4:43 PM  

    • Thanks for doing the tag :) Another Hardy Boys fan? Somehow, these 2 boys were not attractive to me :-)

      I have a gut feeling that they just may be Lucas' favourite books LOL

      I love the Little House on the Prairie too. Hmm...so you're a snacker, huh? You sure don't look like it!

      When I read, I just read, read and read until I forget about the time, food and everything else :P

      By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:38 PM  

    • Hi Allthingspurple, many thanks for your kind invitation, but regret have to decline...I had declined one long ago as well several others past months and it would be ungentlemanly of me to accept one now.
      However, I appreciate your thoughts, thank you.
      You keep well and have a great week. Best regards, Lee.
      ps, I read mostly autobios and bios....Lee.

      By Blogger  Lee, At 10:33 PM  

    • Not exactly fans, KittyCat, neither is Nancy Drew, but those days there werent much reading materials from the bookshops. And I just about sapu all the children's books at the local library already. small town lidat, not much choice.

      By Blogger allthingspurple, At 10:58 PM  

    • no problem at all U. Lee. It be interesting to see how you put up illustrations and pictures if you did do a tag, though.

      By Blogger allthingspurple, At 11:00 PM  

    • Thanks for the tag! :) Now I got to refresh my memory :p

      By Blogger LZmommy, At 3:28 PM  

    • thanks for the tag. : ) Coincidentally, I got a tag for you too at my boy's blog : )

      now, got to start thinking... *winks*

      By Blogger Rachel, At 12:19 AM  

    • thanks for the tag... hmmm.. thats a lot of things to write! :) Hardy boys & Nancy drew are also an old time favourite. Will try to do when hands free :) thanks

      p/s me read under the blanket using torchlight too! hahaha! Those were the days!

      By Blogger Joan D'Arcy, At 11:00 PM  

    • This is an interesting tag. Will do it when I blog next week... I don't read as much as you! LOL! ;)

      By Anonymous Anonymous, At 6:34 PM  

    • answered your tag :) sorry I took so long

      By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:10 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



    << Home









    Ditch the Disposables





    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape



    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket